2015年9月13日日曜日

Reality Check ① - Self

Let's do some reality checks.

Here's a list of what most people seem to take for granted = believe:


I am a human.

I have a name.
I am living my life.
I have a body.
I think.
I feel sensations.

Here are some of the more personal versions of beliefs:


I am shy.

I am a student.
I love my wife.
I hate him.
I am poor.
I want a car.

Can you find one common part in all the above sentences?

Yes!  the subject "I."

So, again, (as you can see in our everyday use of language)

it looks like most people take this "I" for granted, which means
we think that "we" exist.  Sounds so obvious?  Yes, it does ...

...


The aim here is to question the unquestioned beliefs.


So, why don't we first work on one of the commonest beliefs?


If it's TRUE, that's reality, but if it's found to be FALSE,

that's just like a dream; it really doesn't exist, and it isn't worth believing in it.

...


Now, let's look at "I" from some perspectives:


Reality Check - DO I EXIST?


①  Where do "I" exist?  Where in space do "I" begin, and    

      where does it end?

②  When do I exist?  When did "I" begin, and when will it   

      end?

③  When you use the word "I" what exactly does it refer to?



Let's see what comes out.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿